Here we will know where is Kedarnath located and how to reach केदारनाथ मंदिर from any part of India. Kedarnath distance and routes map from various Indian cities.
केदारनाथ is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the four sacred shrines in Hinduism, collectively known as Char Dham Yatra.
Where is Kedarnath?
Kedarnath is a town located in the Rudraprayag district of the Indian state of Uttarakhand. It is situated in the Himalayas, at an altitude of 3,583 meters (11,755 feet) above sea level.
Kedarnath is known for its famous केदारनाथ मंदिर, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is one of the four sacred shrines in Hinduism, collectively known as Char Dham Yatra.
The town is surrounded by scenic natural beauty, with snow-capped mountains and lush green forests. However, due to its remote location and harsh weather conditions, Kedarnath is only accessible for a few months in a year, typically from late April to early November.
केदारनाथ was also in the news in 2013 due to severe floods and landslides that hit the region, causing extensive damage to the town and surrounding areas.
Where is Kedarnath located on the India Map?
- Kedarnath is located in the northern part of India, in the state of Uttarakhand.
- To find Kedarnath on a map of India, you can look in the northern part of Uttarakhand, near the border with Tibet.
- The exact location of केदारनाथ on the map is approximately 30.7352° N, 79.0669° E.
Delhi to Kedarnath Route Map and Places in Between
The route from Delhi to Kedarnath involves a journey of around 450 km and typically takes around 14-15 hours by road. Here is the route map and some of the significant places that you would come across:
- Delhi – The journey starts from Delhi, the capital city of India.
- Meerut – After covering a distance of about 70 km from Delhi, you would reach Meerut.
- Muzaffarnagar – About 130 km from Meerut, you would reach Muzaffarnagar.
- Roorkee – After covering a distance of about 70 km from Muzaffarnagar, you would reach Roorkee, which is located on the banks of the Ganges River.
- Haridwar – About 30 km from Roorkee, you would reach Haridwar, one of the most sacred cities in India.
- Rishikesh – About 20 km from Haridwar, you would reach Rishikesh, known for its ashrams and adventure sports.
- Devprayag – After covering a distance of about 75 km from Rishikesh, you would reach Devprayag, where the Alaknanda and Bhagirathi rivers meet to form the Ganges.
- Srinagar – About 30 km from Devprayag, you would reach Srinagar, a small town on the banks of the Alaknanda River.
- Rudraprayag – After covering a distance of about 35 km from Srinagar, you would reach Rudraprayag, which is located at the confluence of the Alaknanda and Mandakini rivers.
- Gaurikund – About 75 km from Rudraprayag, you would reach Gaurikund, which is the last motorable point on the way to Kedarnath.
- Kedarnath – After covering a distance of about 14 km from Gaurikund, you would reach केदारनाथ, which is located at an altitude of 3,583 meters (11,755 feet) above sea level, in the midst of the Himalayan range.
- History of केदारनाथ
- Weather in केदारनाथ
- Hotels in केदारनाथ
- Meditation Cave in केदारनाथ
- 21 Facts About केदारनाथ
How To Go Kedarnath Temple?
Kedarnath Temple is located in a remote area of the Himalayas and can only be accessed by road and trekking. Here are the various ways to reach the temple:
The nearest motorable point to Kedarnath is Gaurikund, which is located around 14 km from Kedarnath. One can reach Gaurikund by road from cities like Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dehradun, and Delhi. From Gaurikund, one can either trek or ride on a pony, doli, or helicopter to reach Temple.
Kedarnath is not connected by railway directly because it is situated in the mountain region of the Himalayas. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is Rishikesh Railway Station.
Helicopter services are available from Phata, Guptkashi, and Sirsi to Kedarnath during the Char Dham Yatra season. The helicopter ride takes around 10-15 minutes to reach केदारनाथ.
The trek from Gaurikund to Kedarnath is around 14 km long and takes around 6-8 hours to complete. It is a steep climb, and one needs to be physically fit to undertake this trek. One can also hire a pony or doli to reach Kedarnath via the trekking route.
Note: The road and helicopter services to केदारनाथ are available only during the Char Dham Yatra season, which usually starts in April/May and continues till October/November, depending on the weather conditions.
Kedarnath Distance from Major Indian Cities
केदारनाथ की दूरी कितनी है? (भारत के शहरों से) Routes from All Indian Cities are listed here. Click on Any Route below and you will redirect to a detailed Guide on that Route.
- ⦿ Dehradun To केदारनाथ (266km)
- ⦿ Haridwar To केदारनाथ (252km)
- ⦿ Rishikesh To केदारनाथ (227km)
- ⦿ Delhi To केदारनाथ (466km)
- ⦿ Mumbai To केदारनाथ (1912km)
- ⦿ Chandigarh To केदारनाथ (524km)
- ⦿ Jaipur To केदारनाथ (758km)
- ⦿ Lucknow To केदारनाथ (730km)
- ⦿ Ahmedabad To केदारनाथ (1431km)
- ⦿ Banglore To केदारनाथ (2558km)
- ⦿ Chennai To केदारनाथ (2609km)
- ⦿ Kolkata To केदारनाथ (1699km)
- ⦿ Pune To केदारनाथ (1913km)
- ⦿ Hyderabad To केदारनाथ (1685km)
From where the Kedarnath trek starts?
The केदारनाथ trek starts from the village of Gaurikund, which is located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand state in India.
From where to take the helicopter to Kedarnath?
The helicopter service to केदारनाथ operates from several helipads located in Phata, Guptkashi, and Sirsi, which are also located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. The helipads can be easily reached by road from cities like Haridwar, Rishikesh, and Dehradun. The helicopter ride takes around 10-15 minutes to reach Kedarnath.
Where is Kedarnath in which state?
केदारनाथ is located in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand state in India, in the midst of the Himalayan range.
Where to stay in Kedarnath?
There are several options for accommodation in केदारनाथ, including guesthouses, Dharamshala, and tented camps. The accommodation options are limited, and advance booking is recommended, especially during the peak pilgrimage season.
Where to register for the Kedarnath Yatra?
To register for the केदारनाथ यात्रा, one can visit the official website of the Shri Badrinath Kedarnath Temple Committee, where online registration can be done. One can also register at the registration counters set up by the board at various locations in Uttarakhand, including Haridwar, Rishikesh, and Guptkashi.
Complete Travel Guide
- Kedar-nath Yatra 2023 Guide
- Badrinath Yatra 2023 Guide
- Gangotri Yatra 2023 Guide
- Yamunotri Yatra 2023 Guide